Trying the ELK (ElasticSearch, LogStash, Kibana) stack locally on my laptop, I took some notes while following the excellent instructions and scripts provided by DIgitalOcean: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-elasticsearch-logstash-and-kibana-elk-stack-on-ubuntu-14-04
This was for a local install not exposed to the web on a 32-bit install of Ubuntu 14.04. Here is my steps were different than those provided by DigitalOcean:
- Java OpenJDK 7 works fine (openjdk-7-jre), so I did not install Java 8
- Use the 32-bit package if needed, the tutorial uses the 64-bit package.
- There’s no need to modify the ‘kibana.yml’ configuration file for a local install.
- Kibana process log files are located in /var/log/kibana/
- Nginx for a reverse proxy – skip this for local install
- All sections, skip the update-rc.d commands if you do not want the services to run at boot on your machine